- Original character Facial Model and Rig

 

This is a CG character model and rig based on unreleased concept art of an unused background character. The final look was completed entirely in Maya from the base shared topology mesh for all bg characters on the unit. This was my first time character modeling, so I was happy to receive great feedback from our mentors. In a later week, I was able to give the character a facial rig. Working with Pixar's proprietary rigging tools was a night and day difference in quality from Maya's native rigging tools.

PIXAR PUPS
Internship

             In the summer of 2021, I had the amazing opportunity to work at Pixar in the Pixar Undergraduate Program (PUP) Internship. In the first 8 weeks of this 12 week program, we went through most of the major areas of Pixar's Pipeline. I completed projects in modeling, rigging, layout, set dressing, surfacing, lighting, and FX. Each week was something new, so we were always learning. This fast paced environment was a great way to better understand how each area of the pipeline worked and gave me better insight into the day to day jobs of people in the industry.

In weeks 9 and 10 all of the PUPS interns formed a group and worked on a group short film. I was responsible for set dressing, layout, and editorial. I also picked up some minor modeling, shading, and lighting. I have never worked entirely full time on a single project before, so the tight deadline and full commitment was an interesting exercise in endurance for me. It was a lot of work for all of us, but on the other side of it, I am very happy with how the project turned out.

Lastly, in the final 2 weeks, I worked on a personal project. I decided to tackle a deleted scene from Incredibles 2, where Bob and Edna are escaping a rouge security defense system. The sequence was only ever story boarded, so I took the scene into 3D, scouted, blocked, and finalized camera for the entire sequence. I also got to work with the amazing Mahyar Abousaeedi, the DP of Incredibles 2, as my mentor. Through daily meetings with him, I worked in the same way an artist would in production. The internship in its entirety was one of the best professional experiences of my life. I had an amazing time, learned so much about my areas of interest, and made some great friends. 

- Flower Shaped Fireworks: Houdini

 

For FX week, I used SideFX's Houdini for the first time. We were tasked with making a unique firework effect, so I took some creative liberties and based it off of a tulip flower. I'm very happy with the results, but it's only possible because of the expert support and feedback I received from our mentors.

- Layout of a scene from Luca

 

During Layout week, I got the chance to use Pixar's proprietary animation software "Presto" for the first time. While there was an initial learning curve to it, I grew to love how intuitive and iterable it is for creating shot sequences and alts. This sequence was being set dressed by a peer at the same time as I was laying it out. This was a great way to see how real artist work together in production.

- Individual Project: Layout of Deleted Scene
         Incredibles 2: E's House Escape

 

 In the last two weeks of the program, I got the chance to work from a cut sequence on Incredibles 2. This sequence was fully boarded, but no 3D work was done prior. In set dressing, I built out the rooftop models and modified assets in the lab to accommodate for the scene. Then I worked from the boards to scout and block a large section of the sequence. This project was one of the best parts of the internship for me. It was a very similar workflow to layout artists at the studio. At the same time, I was also shadowing Layout production meetings for an upcoming feature, so I was able to see how artists and supervisors interacted. This experience has solidified my love for layout and admiration for the high levels of quality and professionalism at Pixar.

- Group Project - "Soup" PUPS Summer 21'

I worked with a team of 8 other peers to complete this short film in 2 weeks. My teammates were so amazingly talented that it was a challenge to keep up with them. This was also a great opportunity for me to dive more into Set Dressing. Populating an exterior set, mid-move in apartment, and kitchen was a great exercise to increase my ability in that area. In addition, I worked on layout, editorial, and filled minor roles in modeling, surfacing, and lighting.

Above, Final Short.
Below, Final Layout